History of the Library


     Art section of the Colombo technical college (now Maradana college of technology) was established in 1893. The library collection on music, dance and art was the initial library collection of the University of the Visual and Performing Arts. It was shifted to “Haywood” building at Horton place, Colombo 07 in 1948 and was designated as the library of school of Art. The first branch library was established in 1982 in Horana and later it was merged with the library collection in Haywood building in 1994. The library collection which was housed in a room of Haywood building shifted to Mahagamasekara hall in the same premises in 1991 and then to the present location, 3rd floor of the new building in the year 2000.

     At present the library system consist of one branch library at Kohuwala which caters for the first year students attached to the faculties of dance & drama and students who read for western music. The library maintains reference collection, lending collection and a reading room.

     Library of the faculty of Dance and Drama established in 2009 at the faculty premises in Albert Crescent, Colombo 7. The library caters for undergraduates and graduates attached to the faculty of Dance and Drama.  The library maintains reference collection, lending collection and a reading room. 

Back to Home

   
All Rights Reserved. Copyright © 2017 Main Library | University of the Visual and Performing Arts.
46, Horton Place, Colombo 07, Sri Lanka.
Web Designed by Saman Girakaduwa (Assistant Librarian) | girakaduwa@vpa.ac.lk