History of the Library
Art section of the Colombo technical college (Maradana college of technology) was established in 1893. The library collection on music, dance and art was the initial library collection of the University of the Visual and Performing Arts. It was shifted to “Haywood” building at Horton place, Colombo 07 in 1948 and was designated as the library of school of Art. The first branch library was established in 1982 in Horana and later it was merged with the library collection in Haywood building in 1994. The library collection which was housed in a room of Haywood building shifted to Mahagamasekara hall in the same premises in 1991. In 2000, the libray was moved to the third floor of the new building.
In 2023, the main library was established on the first floor of the new Mahagamasekara Memorial building.
Library of the faculty of Dance and Drama established in 2009 at the faculty premises in Albert Crescent, Colombo 7. In 2023, the Kohuwala branch library and the faculty of Dance and Drama library were merged and established on the first floor of the new building of the faculty of Music in the Albert Crecent. The library caters for undergraduates and graduates attached to the faculty of Dance and Drama, Faculty of Music. The library maintains reference collection, lending collection and a reading room.